History & Facts
For more than 150 years, First National Bank has maintained its commitment to helping to build strong communities.
We don’t claim to have been the primary builders of the communities we serve. Many people over many generations did that with their hard work, dedication and vision. But a local bank that understands and embraces the community’s vision can make a big difference, and we are proud of our commitment to these principles.
First National Bank is proud of our history. We were founded in 1857 by two brothers – Herman and Augustus Kountze. Though our founders were engaged in the rough-and-tumble business of the pioneers, they created an innovative and forward-looking organization. We were among the first banks to issue credit cards – long before most other banks did – and we were the first U.S. company to use fuel cell technology as its primary power source. That’s how we approach the future, as well, and we hope you will take the journey with us.
The Kountze brothers envisioned that their bank would succeed and have a positive impact on the communities they served. We continue to harbor big dreams for the future of the communities we serve, just like Herman and Augustus did.
- First National Bank is in its sixth generation of family ownership. In fact, First National of Nebraska is one of the largest family-owned holding companies in the United States, as well as the largest privately owned banking company.
- At 633 feet, the First National Tower in Omaha is the tallest building between Chicago and Denver.
- We are proud to be one of Forbes' Best Banks in America.
- Our credit card division, First Bankcard, is a Top 15 commercial card issuer.
- First National Bank is one of only four banks to issue all four credit card networks: Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.
- First National Bank is one of the largest commercial bank finance providers to the ethanol industry. We're also the fifth largest agricultural lender in the country (Ag Lender magazine).
- Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine has named the Nebraska Education Savings Trust (NEST) the "Best College Savings Plan" for Fund Selection. NEST is Nebraska’s 529 College Savings Plan and First National Bank serves as Program Manager.